Xhafer Nuli

Mitrovica | Date: October 21, 2020 | Duration: 107 minutes

The march to Pristina, the Miners’ March on November 17, 1988, the march began from the mine, from Stantrg. That day, I did not go to work in the morning because I sent one of my children to the doctor. A colleague of mine called me on the phone and said, ‘Come cuz the workers want to go to Pristina.’ I went to join them. […]

Barefoot and poorly clothed in the work uniform, when I saw them I didn’t think they would make it to Pristina on foot. ‘Don’t go boys, you won’t make it to Pristina on foot.’ Swear to God, I said, ‘Let’s try and do something, something, because in Pristina…’ A worker came close to me and said, ‘You mean it?’ To tell you the truth I enjoyed authority among them. He said, ‘But Burhan [Kavaja] says we should go.’ ‘Did he say that?’ ‘Yes.’ ‘Then go, go!’ I said.

[…] Now the workers had to confront the police. I said to some of my colleagues, ‘Let’s stand in front and lead the workers, because what if… now when they confront them we will calm them down and ask them to stop.’ Because we pushed from behind and broke the police chain and we continued the march. But this happened quite fast because there were some Albanian policemen and the police chain was broken. They did not respond and were not violent with us. They abandoned the police and joined us at the Sports Hall in Pristina.

Anita Susuri (Interviewer), Korab Krasniqi (Interviewer), Renea Begolli (Camera)

Xhafer Nuli was born in 1947 in the village Zasellë, Municipality of Mitrovica. In 1973, he graduated from the Electric Engineering Faculty at the University of Prishtina. A year later, in 1974, Mr. Nuli was employed in Trepça as the Director of the Department of Electrical Engineering. In 1989, he was fired. At that time he created the independent syndicate of workers, which he led until the year 2000. After the 1999 war, Mr. Nuli returned to work in Trepça until his retirement. Today, he lives with his family in Mitrovica.