Teuta Hadri

Pristina | Date: May 5 and June 10, 2021 | Duration: 257 minutes

Their biggest worry was that there was Tito’s [Youth Relay] baton. Our goal was to interrupt the relay ceremony so that it doesn’t take place in Kosovo. That was the biggest crisis for which both parties were aware of. And they didn’t fulfill our demands, because if they did, that thing would have been silenced. Maybe, I believe, although the mass was energized. And they didn’t fulfill our demands, and a revolt broke out there, revolted, people aimed to go to Ulpiana where the baton was being carried. But they… we weren’t aware that we were surrounded. […] When we broke that cordon, there were some fences like round bars dividing the street. We jumped over them and someone fell over, interrupting the relay. That’s when the massive shootings from the police began, with guns, with… they shot. […] It was a revolt and the first confrontation with the police forces.

[…] A student had the national red and black flag leading the mass, and when that student was knocked down, Trëndelina Labënishti ran, she was also a political prisoner, imprisoned for three years in Macedonia. She took the flag, since at the moment it doesn’t occur to you, you know, but it did occur to someone to take the flag. Trëndelina took the flag and said, ‘Don’t let the flag fall into the hands of the police,’ and stood up. But, the police went after Trëndelina, she wrapped herself in the flag so they wouldn’t take it. […] At that moment I also took the flag and I couldn’t lift it because it was quite heavy, about five, six, ten meters long. It also had that wooden pole, it took strength to make the flag fly.

Anita Susuri (interviewer), Besarta Breznica (Camera)

Teuta Hadri was born in 1956 in Gjakova. She finished the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Pristina in 1982. In 1990, she specialized in Zagreb, Croatia. After graduation, she was employed as a physician at the regional hospital of Gjakova. During the years 1997-98 she worked at the Nënë Tereza clinic. Mrs. Hadri was a member of the Council for the Protection of Human Rights and Freedoms. During the war time period she worked as a physician in the Gollaku military base of KLA. After the war, in 1999, she started her work as a gynecologist at the Obstetrics and Gynecology Clinic in Pristina. Currently, she lives with her family in Pristina.